Pioneers, the first Pi Hackathon has come to a conclusion. Our goal with this event was to kickstart community building efforts and foster community development of Pi apps and ecosystem that will substantiate use cases of the Pi Blockchain. Thanks to all participants, community reviewers and moderators for making this large-scale, online distributed hackathon a success. While this Hackathon is now ending, this is only the beginning of building a prosperous Pi ecosystem. The Core Team is now proud to announce the following #buildPi2gether Hackathon winners below. Congratulations to all winners and honorable mentions!
- Pi Workforce Pool (#1 business app)
Marketplace to hire skilled Pioneers or get hired for work
- PiCare (#1 ecosystem app)
Bug reporting platform for Pi apps and ecosystem apps
- Pi Chain Mall (#2 business app)
E-commerce marketplace for buyers and sellers of various goods and services
- World of Pi Championships (#2 ecosystem app)
Social match-three puzzle game to compete for prizes — non-profit for the developer.
- Watugot (#3 business app)
Marketplace for local businesses to publish their coupons and discounts
- Pi Game Platform (business app)
Platform for developers to post and monetize their games
- Pi Barter Mall (business app)
E-commerce Marketplace for buyers and sellers of various physical and virtual goods
- PitoGo Travelers Handy Platform (business app)
Travel platform to book arrangements including hotels, flights, and cars.
- Pi Webinars (business model app)
Video platform to sell and buy exclusive content
- Pi Games from Latin America (ecosystem app)
Numerous games including chess against an AI chess bot. All code is open-source.
The winners under each category (business and ecosystem) will receive the following awards:
- 1st prize = US$20,000 + 20,000 Pi
- 2nd prize = US$15,000 + 15,000 Pi
- 3rd prize = US$10,000 + 10,000 Pi
- Honorary mention = US$1,000 each + 1,000 Pi
To reiterate, a business app has a business model in Pi and earns Pi from transactions inside the app. An ecosystem app does not earn Pi but rather contributes to the Pi ecosystem and thus may receive additional support and guidance from the Core Team.
Logistics to receive awards
In order to receive the funds for your awards, all members of the winning team must pass our KYC compliance standards such as AML and anti-terrorism regulations. We will enable each of you to run a KYC check for free initiated in our app via a third party KYC solution. The winning team should designate one account to receive the prize and they have full responsibility on how to handle their treasury. More specifics on claiming prizes will be communicated by the Core Team to the winning teams in the coming weeks.
Hackathon Winners selection process
The Core Team exclusively judged Hackathon participants, while also considering hundreds of thousands community ratings and Moderators’ input when making our final decisions. In order to be eligible for Hackathon awards, the apps had to 1) meet the basic requirements listed below and 2) demonstrate quality, utility and potential.
- Integration of Pi SDK into your Pi Browser app
- App accessibility without Sandbox active
- User authentication within Pi Browser
- No solicitation of further contact information such as email (Note: Core Team reviewed and turned down requests for some exceptions)
- Pi transaction capability with Pi instead of non-Pi blockchain assets or fiat currency
In addition, to gauge quality, utility and potential, we considered a wide set of factors for Hackathon winners such as the following:
- The usefulness of the app to build the Pi economy
- UI/UX design
- Execution of core functionality
- Commitment to Pi
- Potential for Pioneer growth
- Potential for Pioneer engagement
- Potential for facilitating transactions in Pi cryptocurrency
Unfortunately, we had to disqualify a few promising apps because they failed to meet the criteria in either of two aspects above. To all Hackathon participants, please do not lose heart if you did not win. More opportunities will be available in the coming months. We will continue to provide support, guidance and more developer programs to help developers succeed in the Pi ecosystem.
For the Business app category, we have selected 3 winners and 4 honorable mentions that met the above criteria. Due to fewer submissions in the Ecosystem app category, not all winning seats are filled. All unawarded funds in this hackathon, especially in the ecosystem app category, will be used to support app teams in future developer programs in the coming months. We want all present and future teams to succeed, and we would like to support them to the best of our ability.
Please note that the Hackathon winners are not guaranteed to be listed on the Pi App Directory within the Pi Browser. Keep in mind that hackathons usually result in prototypes or minimum viable products (MVP), and it still takes time and effort for teams to improve and modify their products to reach production-level standards. Our selection of listed apps in the Pi App Directory will have its own separate process, and we’ll continue to guide these Hackathon teams to improve and modify in order to get there.